Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just Food [4]


Re: Ramen Yamada

I like this place a lot.  Every time I go, the broth has been consistently thick, creamy, and full of pork flavor.  Sometimes the broth also imparts a more oily texture on my tongue while other times it does not.  I’ve begun adding different flavors by adding different types of toppings like corn, bamboo shoots, onions, etc.  The one topping that stands out the most is the menma (bamboo shoots).  The menma imparts a kind of a sour vinegary yet earthy taste to the broth.  I think this gives the broth a nice contrast at times.

Here are two more pictures of the awesome broth ramen.


The left picture is the Chasuu Tonkotsu Shoyuu broth with fried rice and chicken karaage combo.  Shoyuu (soy sauce) is not my favorite type of broth.  Unfortunately the time I went they ran out of everything except shoyuu and spicy miso.  I’m not a fan of spicy miso either so I was disappointed.  This broth tasted like a very light version of the Tonkotsu broth.  It felt almost watered down but not quite.  Its like the chef added more water to the leftover broth that they couldn’t get into because of the bones, meat, and fat thats in the way of them scooping it out.

The right picture is the Kakuni Tonkotsu Ramen broth.  The pork belly kakuni wasn’t as good as the previous time.  The meat was a bit tougher on this cut.  The broth didn’t taste as oily this time to me.  However maybe because it wasn’t as rich and oily, this broth didn’t seem like it tasted as good as my very first visit.

No comments: