Monday, October 10, 2011

Gourmet Food Trucks (22)


Re: Global Soul Truck (facebook)

A new truck at Westchester First Fridays... A random person suggested that I try this truck.  I was halfway to finishing the No Reservations Catering BBQ Sandwich special with Garlic Fries... so I didn’t finish the whole sandwich but I finished most of the fries.


Anyways, the dish I ordered was the “Shrimp Toastie.”  Four cajun-spiced? pan-fried jumbo shrimps on top of french roll with a curry sauce.  There is a drizzle of garlic chili oil as well which make me think the shrimp wasn’t really cajun-ish.  But man this combination was really good.  Despite being full I was tempted to order something else just to try their other dishes.  If this shrimp dish is good who knows how good their other ones could be.

The jumbo shrimp tasted similar to those gourmet seafood restaurant shrimps that you get as an appetizer.  It was cooked well.  The shrimp rested on these french roll “plates.”  They also drizzled some  garlic chili oil which added some heat to the dish.  The french roll that  was soaked with this coconut curry sauce.  I think its a green Thai curry that they used.  But they said it was an Indian Madras curry base.  I don’t know much about curry so I can’t really say.  The french roll was slightly buttered (they said) but if they were... you couldn’t taste it over the curry sauce.  The curry sauce is definitely something that is worth going back to.  They could probably use that as the basis for another dish... its just THAT good.  

Finally that garlic chili oil... damn good.  They said they’ll be bottling it soon so I have to get my hands on a bottle.






Re: No Reservations Catering

I really hoped they offered their “heaven’s gate” grilled cheese.  But apparently they were busy that they couldn’t prepare.  Instead they had a the BBQ Beef sandwich.  


The bread was too much.  I ended up tossing half of it away.  The BBQ sauce was pretty good.  It had more of a citrus and sweet tart to the sauce instead of the traditional hickory smoke flavor or a Worcestershire flavor.  I like this sauce since it didn’t taste really heavy.

No comments: