Saturday, October 8, 2011

Just Food [3]


Re: Ramen Jinya
As I mentioned in the previous post, ramen is one of my favorite type of food.  The combination of pork broth with noodles and sliced pork, bamboo shoots (menma), chopped onions, and hard boiled egg is just too good to pass up any day of the week.

Ramen Jinya was recommended to me almost two years ago.  But the only location was in Studio City.  I didn’t want to trek to Studio City on a weekday since traffic is always horrible in LA.  I also never really found an excuse to go to Studio City until recently.  
  1. The broth is always the first thing I taste.  I always ask myself:
  2. Is the broth flavorful?  
  3. Can I taste the pork (if its a pork based)?
  4. Can I see the tiny white bits of floating marrow?  
  5. What else can I taste?  Garlic? Onions? Sesame?
  6. Are the noodles chewy?
  7. How are the toppings (corn, bamboo shoots, spinach, chopped onions, seaweed)?
  8. Do they complement the broth or the noodles or each other?



Now... THIS....

This is one awesome bowl of ramen.  Its a pork tonkatsu broth base.  The broth was flavorful and surprisingly neither too salty NOR too oily.  The broth has a very light taste.  It didn’t taste rich like Ramen Yamada (which was oily in comparison to this one) but it maintained its flavor very well.  Honestly, I couldn’t get enough of this broth.  I had to stop myself from finishing the broth before finishing the rest of the ramen, spinach, chashu, chopped onions.  The chashu was very soft and tender.  There cut of meat was pretty lean.  I don’t mind lean cut but I think ramen requires fatty pork belly to taste good.  I also wish they added more than just a few obligatory bamboo shoots.  I find the bamboo shoots and chopped onions changes the flavor of the broth temporarily.  Ramen Jinya also added some spinach into the mix.  

The chicken karaage had this ponzu sauce that tasted very good.  The chicken itself tastes similar to how other Japanese restaurants make the dish.  I wish they would put the ponzu sauce aside as a dipping sauce instead of pouring it on the chicken.  I think it would taste much better to continually dip it after each bite.

No comments: