Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gourmet Food Trucks (3)


Since the last post which was over a month ago, I have still been scouting around trying to taste the plethora of trucks that wander around LA.

This trucks serves gourmet cupcakes.  They're great for dessert or just a nice treat.  The website isn't updated all that frequently probably since the owner is busy baking cupcakes.  I stumbled upon this on my way home tonight.  Since I always see it in the Food Truck LA Twitter aggregate, I just had to try it.  

The owner suggested a Red Velvet cupcake as her favorite cupcake.  I declined on that since I don't particularly enjoy Red Velvet.  She then offered the Vanilla Butterscotch as a non-chocolate alternative.  From what I saw, she cut the cupcake in half, added butterscotch in the middle, replaced the top.  She topped the cupcake with vanilla icing and a drizzle of butterscotch.  

And wow it was pretty good.  I don't normally eat cupcakes since they tend to be dry.  This one was pretty moist still and a little bit warm.  I had also expected it to be really sweet but it wasn't. I finished it as I walked to the car.  I ended up going back to buy my sister the Red Velvet.  The jury is still out on the Red Velvet.


I had passed this one day when getting food at another truck.  A BBQ food truck?  Such a great idea.  No longer do we have to go to BBQ restaurants like Lucille's Roadhouse, Texas Roadhouse, etc...  

I tried their special of the day: BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich.  It came with cole slaw.  The sandwich was decent.  It was honestly no better than a BBQ pulled pork sandwich that you can get at those BBQ sit down restaurants.  The BBQ sauce on the pulled pork wasn't any better than the sit down restaurants too.  After this experience, it makes me wonder how the sauce is judged at those BBQ cook-offs.  The sauce seems to have to appeal to a wide variety of people's taste buds in order to win.  Yet it also needs to be distinctive enough that judges will remember the taste and flavor.

Oh well... until Food Network comes calling for my culinary critique, I'll stick with what I enjoy eating.


I've been waiting for these cheese steak food trucks  to come rolling around.  Hopefully soon.

felix =^^=

No comments: