Sunday, January 30, 2011

Santa Anita Food Truck Festival

Santa Anita Food Truck Festival

Held this past weekend, twenty some trucks were there.    The weather was really good.  It was a bit chilly in the morning but warmed up to a sunny day.  Three friends and I went on Saturday.  It was a pretty cheap entrance fee.  

The food trucks that were participating in this are listed below.  The ones highlighted in yellow are trucks I’ve tasted before.
  • The Grilled Cheese Truck
  • Don Chow Tacos
  • Border Grill
  • Canter's Truck
  • Chunk'n Chip
  • Baby's Badass Burgers
  • South Philly Experience
  • Dosa
  • Yatta Truck
  • The Sweets Truck
  • Dante Fried Chicken
  • Dogtown Dogs
  • Barbies Q
  • No Reservations
  • Knockout Tacos
  • Chef Brian's Comfort Truck
  • Ragin' Cajun
  • Crepe'n Around
  • Lobsta Truck
  • Fresh Fries LA
  • Lardon Truck
  • Tapa Boy LA
  • NaanStop
  • Coolhaus
  • Lake St. Creamery

Going into this, I wanted to try Dosa Truck as well as Ragin’ Cajun.  I’ve seen Dosa around but they usually had a long line.  I also wanted my friends to try the garlic and truffle fries from No Res.  The world must know all that is good from No Res.

I’m not sure how many people pre-ordered the tickets.  The lines were just as long as the Rose Bowl event... maybe even longer.  I think the even coordinators didn’t put an attendance cap which sullied everyone’s expectations.  The long lines and even longer wait times must have swamped all the food trucks there.  Based on what people are posting, many have a negative view of the festival itself mainly due to the long lines and wait times.  But when its not a capped attendance, even the fastest fast food restaurants will have a hard time serving people in a timely manner.

Perhaps the best food truck festival would be to cap the people with some formula.  The assumptions would be 80 orders per hour per truck, 5 hour service, and 30 Food Trucks.  
so... 80 x 5 x 30 = 12,000 would be the maximum amount of people to enter.  The assumption of course is that each order consist of approximately 1 appetizer/side dish and 1 main dish.  I assume of course, food trucks are able to handle 80 orders in a hour.  This would roughly be just one REALLY long lunch run for them.

Anyways back to the food, I had my friends try the No Reservations Truck.  They had the awesome grilled cheese special as well as trying out a some new taco service which I think is a *really* good idea.  The grilled cheese they had is one of the best grilled cheeses I’ve tasted.  Their taco idea which I hope they’ll implement is to basically use the same fillings in their wraps and just apply it in a taco form.  So imagine a Rosemary Baby’s in taco form.  Or Goodfella’s in taco form.  My friends liked the Garlid and Truffle fries.  They are super addicting. Goodfella's taco is at the bottom. Rosemary's Baby tacos are at the bottom right. It looks kind of far. Truffle fries top right. The grilled cheese is stacked with the garlic fries and is top left.


Someone went to try Ragin Cajun.  The jambalaya and po’boy were good.  The jambalaya came in a pretty large container surprisingly enough.  I wonder how authentic jambalaya tastes like.  I doubt the Cheesecake Factory one tastes authentic.  



Someone else went to the LobstaTruck.  I had eaten the Lobster + Butter Roll previously.  At the festival I had the Crab roll with mayo.  I think lobster roll with mayo is probably better than with butter.  I will need to try it out next time. The top is the crab roll. The bottom is the lobster roll. Both rolls were with mayo.



And finally after dinner, comes dessert.  I spotted Chunk n Chip some time ago but they usually don’t come close to work or home.  They serve ice cream sandwiches but with more traditional flavors unlike Coolhaus.







No comments: