Monday, December 20, 2010

Gourmet Food Trucks (13)


Re: GourmetGenie2Go
Looking at the menu, this truck offers Mediterranean food.  I’ve seen it a few times near work at Olympic and 26th.  There’s usually a small line that moves relatively quickly.  I guess Mediterranean food can be served pretty quickly.  On this particular day, I went with a coworker who was also going to go out to lunch.  She had never been to a food truck and had always been interested in going after I usually bring back food from the trucks.  So for that day, I had great company.

I chose the “Sultan’s Feast” since it looked interesting as a combo and offerec beef and chicken shwarma..  I’ve liked shwarma ever since eating the chicken shwarma plate at the Mediterranean restaurant in the Durant Food Court days.




The plate wasn’t that good.  Because it was a shwarma plate, I expected the meat to be juicy and flavorful from being slow cooked like a rotisserie.  Unfortunately it wasn’t.  The chicken shwarma was decent but the beef didn’t taste like it belonged in the dish... maybe it was the parsley?  The cabbage salad was also bland.  I think if it added some vinegar it may have tasted better and contrasted more with the hummus.  Their hummus was the only item I liked.  It also tasted very similar to the hummus you buy at super market or even at Zankou Chicken.  I think this truck could be even better if they made a hummus that looked like the normal hummus but tasted amazingly different from the regular store bought hummus.




Re: Comfort Truck
This truck is has a “celebrity chef” who was a contestant from Season 1 of Top Chef.  I’ve seen this truck on the twitter aggregate as well as the google map aggregate that I frequent to see where the different trucks are serving food.  They have not been in Santa Monica for lunch or West LA for dinner service.  However, recently they were finally in West LA for dinner service and I took the opportunity to eat from them.

I had their BBQ chicken wrap and the corn relish.  I originally wanted to get the Chicken wrap since it was one of Chef Brian’s original suggestions as a menu item that represented the truck.  The BBQ sauce was a suggestion by the chef who said it would make the wrap taste even better.  Being the first time I’ve even been to the truck, I went with his suggestion.


The small balls at the bottom right are from Flying Pig Truck (see below)

The BBQ chicken wrap was delicious.  The sauce the chef used was sweet yet tangy and made me wanting more each bite.  I couldn’t tell what else was in each bite.  But it was good.  The corn relish wasn’t so great.  I thought it’d be almost salsa like with a vinegarette like flavoring since conjures up a profile of sweet yet tangy.  Unfortunately I only tasted the corn.  It felt like it needed at least some seasoning.




Re: Mighty Boba Truck
I think I’ve reviewed this truck awhile back for its popcorn chicken and milk tea.  I don’t remember if I mentioned that they also had a “lunch menu” that consisted mainly of the Taiwanese snacks with rice.  So you can choose from popcorn chicken, taiwanese sausages, pork chops and tofu to go along with a side of rice and vegetables.  I had the chicken and pork chops for lunch.  It was actually a decent amount of food for the price and I only finished half of it.  I like the vegetables that they included.  It was cooked with garlic and seasoned just right.  Unfortunately, I don’t have pictures.






Re: Flying Pig Truck
It’s a “can’t miss” Hot PINK TRUCK.  Their crab balls looked interesting (see above picture) so I just ordered it.  Unfortunately, it didn’t taste too good.  I think it was the honey drizzle that made it taste awful.  I remember eating this type of snacks when I went back to Taiwan at those night markets.  They were the exact size but had salt and pepper sprinkled on them.  I think having the balls be salty instead of sweet would have made this a better dish.

No comments: