Monday, December 13, 2010

Gourmet Food Trucks (12)

Re:  Get Your Lard On aka the Bacon Truck
This truck was brought to my attention by a coworker.  Looking at the website, you can definitely tell this is a bacon lover’s wet dream.  Everything oozes with bacon... even the dessert!  I tried this truck one day since it was “close by.”  The guy behind the cash box suggested that I try their signature dish --” the Baco.”  Its a taco filled with potato and cheese, except instead of a normal tortilla shell, they used three strips of bacon.

Ya... I had it and it was good.  Just the smell of the bacon was intoxicating.  




Re: Greasy Wiener
A hot dog truck.  I’m not a big fan of hot dogs... let alone gourmet style hot dogs.  I’ll eat them every so often with the usual toppings of ketchup, mustard, relish and onions especially at CostCo.  But when this truck was in town, I went to try their signature “Greasy Wiener” spicy hot dog.  The heat from the hot dog was pretty good.  Their bun could have used a little bit of heat to warm it up.  It was pretty stiff when I had it.

I didn’t like their pickle that they included.  I think I prefer relish more.  Although if you watch Food Network long enough, some of the shows say the “classic method” (meaning old) hot dog preparation is with pickles.  Go figure.  I”m not a fan of sauerkraut so I don’t really know what to say about it.
They have other items on the menu that might be worth trying.  Unfortunately it’s not really at the top of my favorite’s list.



Re:  Shrimp Pimp
Similar to how Lard On truck is bacon inspired, Shrimp Pimp truck is shrimp inspired.  I’ve seen them near work a few times usually with a long line.  Generally, if there’s a long line, people probably consider their food to be decent enough to go back a second or a third time.

I tried their Shrimp and Chips.  They gave me like eight battered shrimp.  EIGHT!  They definitely aren’t skimping on the shrimp.  The shrimp itself was also pretty good.  The batter could be made a bit lighter.  I’ve had beer battered seafood in the past before and I seem to recall it wasn’t as thick.  Perhaps it’s because the dish is made in a truck and has difficulty perfecting the beer batter coating?  I enjoyed their spicy chipotle(?) dipping sauce.  I had enough of the fries to consider them decent.  My coworkers liked the fries though.  They think it tasted really good because the fries absorbed some of the beer battered shrimp flavor.



Re: Fishlips Sushi
This is a sushi truck.  Ya... Sushi and truck just doesn’t seem “safe”.  However just like Shrimp Pimp, I see this truck near work usually with a good amount of people waiting for their food.  So it can’t be that bad can it?

Well... I found out they mainly specialize in rolls.  The california roll (crab/avacado), tempura roll (shrimp tempura) and spicy tuna roll (spicy tuna) seem to be their most popular.  They do have sushi though not in the traditional sense that you find at fine dining Japanese sushi bars.  Their sushi is in the form of mini rice balls with a small slice of sashimi layered on top.  I guess... it can still be called sushi.  

Anyways, being a bit hesitant, I tried only their “fully cooked” rolls like the shrimp tempura roll.  The roll itself was decently made.  It looks even better rolled then something you would find at Ralph’s or Whole Foods.  You could even say restaurant quality rolling.  A full roll gives you 8 pieces and these pieces were decently large (maybe as large as a sit-down sushi restaurant).  The shrimp tempura was fairly typical.  It wasn’t the best tasting but it also wasn’t as horrible as Ralph’s.  It’s a pretty passable alternative to grocery market made rolls.

I would probably like to try the other rolls they have.



Re: Che Truck

Argentinian truck I had posted before.  They make good empanadas.  I’m sure there are other places that make great empanadas as well but these by far are the best ones from a truck (and so far the ONLY ones too). I highly recommend trying their empanadas if you ever get a the chance.


I highly recommend trying their empanadas if you ever get a the chance.

No comments: