Monday, September 26, 2011

Just Food [1]


After Gourmet Food Trucks (20), I figured it was time to expand outside the realm of the food trucks.  So I introduce the FIRST Not Gourmet Food Trucks post!!



Re: Churros Caliente

A friend recommended Churros Caliente describing their churros as an awesome treat.  I had tried their churros once before during winter.  I recall that night because I walked back home in the rain.  Why did I walk in the rain?I got fed up waiting for the bus for 30 minutes that I just started walking in the rain.  The bus eventually did come after 40 minutes which was packed.  



I had stopped at this place that night as a quick break to warm myself up after walking in the rain.  I also hoped that the rain would stop a bit as it had become more of a drizzly mist by the time I got to the restaurant.  I had the churros and hot chocolate combination.  The churros were good but I didn’t enjoyed it as much since I was soaking wet.



This place is located next to the theater on Santa Monica.  They have a small space for dining and a small patio that extends out into the sidewalk of Santa Monica.  After a “half-day” Friday, I stopped at the restaurant to eat lunch.  I had their chicken panini, churros and ice milk coffee.  The panini would have been better with a little more cheese and more of the tomato sauce.  The bread was very good but suffers from being very dry.  The chicken was pretty juicy.  But I still think more tomato sauce would have been better.  


The churros were extremely good.  They make it fresh which probably was why it was good.  The sugar sprinkles had a nice added sweetness that gave the churros a nice aftertaste.  It was so good that I went and tried a Churros Grande with cream cheese stuffing and guava drizzle.  Apparently this is a pretty popular fan favorite combination. And let me tell you it was good.  The warm cream cheese was perfect with the churros.  The guava drizzle wasn’t too sweet and complemented the cream cheese slight sourness very well.  Using strawberry drizzle would have probably overpowered the cream cheese flavor.



I would come back for the churros.  I think you should too!













Re: Urbanbelly



I was sent to Chicago for training.  Taking the opportunity, I went to try a restaurant that was shocased on Food Network’s “Best Thing I Ever Ate.” I had the recommended Rice Noodle.  It was a noodle soup using thin vermicelli along with thick rice cake noodles (the ones you find in a shanghai rice noodle dish).  The soup is made from a pork broth base that was spiked with the spicy kim chee flavor.  The soup also contained thick cubes of pork, garbonzo beans and kim chee.  I had also ordered the bacon and squash dumplings and a side of Chinese eggplant.



I found the broth to be amazingly good.  Its a clear pork broth base similar to the type of Chinese style noodle soup broths.  Its definitely different from the Tonkatsu Japanese ramen broths.  This broth was delicious.  It tastes as if it was simmered for a good 4 hours similar to how good home made Chinese beef noodle soup base should be made.  It was spiked with a kim chee flavor that made the broth spicy.  It’s like the spicy beef noodle soup that you eat in Taiwanese restaurants.  


The bacon and squash dumplings were not what I expected.  They were spicy squash “dumplings” with bacon, tangerine and daikon topping.  I really had hoped the filling would be squash and bacon flavor.  It would be an interesting flavor combination to have the texture of the squash mix with the flavor of bacon.  I had also expected Chinese style dumplings.  I think ravioli would probably be a more proper term for this dish.  


The Chinese eggplant was very good.  I really like the vinegarette sauce.  The eggplant was topped with some crunchy wontons that complemented the “mushy” eggplant.  I like that odd juxtaposition.  
















No comments: