Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gourmet Food Trucks (19)

Re: Yalla Truck


They don’t have a website unless you consider a facebook page to be a website.  They have a very simple menu.  Their main item is a falafel, chicken, or vegetarian stuffed inside a pita sandwich with a cabbage salad that is tossed with four different sauces.  The sauces range from the classic greek/mediterannean, south east asian, italian and BBQ.  I’m not sure about the BBQ but it sounds about right.  Probably wrong but without a website to verify things, it’ll just have to be BBQ.

I had the chicken pita sandich stuffed with the mediterannean cabbage salad.  I assumed it was their original flavor.  This sandwich was good.  I was amazed at the simplicity of the ingredients and how well the sauce just gave everything a flavor to it.  I would definitely try it again since I need to get pictures the second time.

I tried them a second time. I had the half chicken half falafel pita sandwich (below). I didn't like the olives. That was the only thing I really didn't like The olives totally overwhelmed the flavor of the chipotle sauce. The guy even came over to ask for my opinion. I also probably wouldn't use falafel either as a meat substitute. It was really dry and tended to soak up the sauce. What's worse is the falafel didn't impart any unique flavor itself. So sadly, I knew when I bit into falafel and when I bit into chicken.



Re: Nomad Truck

I’ve seen it a few times near my work place.  Never really tried it since there were better options around.  Unfortunately that day, my favorite truck had a pretty long line so I opted to try something new.  This one had a pretty short line.  

I have to say... the generator that is located near the ordering window SHOULD BE MOVED to the other side.

I tried their minced beef wrap and zatar chips.  The wrap was smaller than I had imagined it would be.  The meat... tasted very non-existent.  I could see the meat since it was along the edge of the wrap but couldn’t really taste it.  I kept getting over whelmed by the mint and yogurt combination.  Let it be known that I absolutely hate that combination.  The mint just obliterates any flavor.  The yogurt makes the mint retain some aftertaste that I really didn’t like.  The zatar chips had nothing really special that stood out for me.  It is a thyme, sesame seed and oil layered on top of chips.  It was actually pretty dry now that I think about it.




Re: Border Grill

I had this truck once before.
I tried this truck again recently.  Maybe I ordered the wrong item when the chef was having a horrible day.  I remembered that the taco I had wasn’t that great.  I have seen that this truck always seems to have a long line for lunch service similar to komodo (another truck I don’t particularly like).  Well they were at the Westside Food Truck lot for dinner service recently and I tried their food again.

This time I ordered the green corn tamal, and carne asada quesadilla.  The tamal was delicious.  It is cornmeal.  It had a thick buttery sweet consistency that is super good and super filling.  The salsa and sour cream contrasts itself from the sweetness of the corn.  I always see people order this particular item and I know why... its so damn good.  The carne asada quesadilla was also good.  It had a good amount of meat spread evenly throughout the quesadilla.  The meat was juicy and very tender.  

I think I will need to retry their tacos again.  Its possible their tacos just suck.






Re: Naan Stop

They were one of many food trucks at Anime Expo 2011 to provide lunch to the attendees.  They served naan wrapped type sandwiches very similar to a gyro.  I had the lamb “naanwich” which was just seasoned lamb, peppers, onions, yogurt and mint on top of a naan then rolled up slightly to form a taco like shape.  It was good and had a nice slow spicy burn.  I also ordered the samosa.  It is probably the best samosa of all the indian trucks.  It might be as good as Vik’s samosas.




Re: Clean street food

I’ve had this before.  But I don’t think I had blogged about it.  They were one of many food trucks at Anime Expo 2011 to provide lunch to the attendees.  I had the Parmesan steak slider.  The seasoning was decent and it was surprisingly pretty light for a steak slider.  Unfortunately, the people at the truck kind of over-hyped it in my opinion.  





Re: Cheeseball Wagon

Their “ultimate” specialty is a sinfully good deep fried cheddar cheese balls.  Its very similar to the deep fried mozzarella sticks that you might find at an Italian restaurant.  They take cheddar cheese cubes and pretty much deep fry them.  When they come out, it has that melted cheese gooey consistency but is offset from the breaded crunch.  It was really good.  They currently use a ranch dipping sauce but I can imagine different dipping sauces from something spicy to something pasta-ish in the future.  

I also had their dessert. Three cheesecake balls on a stick. That was super delicious. Basically bite size cheesecake covered in graham cracker bits. They are good by itself but with the blueberry sauce they were even better.





No comments: